04 December 2014

SUPER SIMPLE GRANOLA BASE RECIPE





Recently I have fallen in love with granola, but that it's not the cheapest thing to buy. I wanted to make my own, nothing fancy just a really basic granola that I could use to add texture to breakfasts. My favourite way to have it is on top of a smoothie bowl. The crunch goes so well with the smoothie texture and helps to add a nice bite. This recipe is seriously so easy. It can be enjoyed alone or because this recipe is incredibly versatile you can just about add anything you like to it. As it's just the base recipe you can add anything to it; dried nuts, seeds, dried berries, coconut - it's completely adaptable. I used 250 grams of oats (I just used Essential Waitrose) and 2/3 tablespoons of Sweet Freedom. I used Sweet Freedom as it adds a little flavour without using refined sugar, as it's made from 100% fruit.

So here's how to make it:
- Preheat your oven to gas mark 4 and line two baking trays with grease proof paper.
- Take your oats and simply add the Sweet Freedom straight on top. Mix this all together, working the sweet freedom through with your fingers as if making a crumble mixture.
- Spread the oats evenly over a baking tray creating a thin layer and place in the over for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes give the oats a good move around on the tray and place back in the over for a further 10-15 minutes. Keep repeating this process until you have crisp, browned oat bits.

And that's it! It really is as simple as that. You then just need to let them completely cool before transferring them to an airtight container. It should keep for about 1-2 weeks (that's if you can resist not eating it all by then!).

If you try this recipe out I'd love to know the result and what you added to it. Let me know @afloralcrown on Twitter. Keep your eyes peeled because later this week I'll be sharing my smoothie bowl recipe with I use this granola for!

I'm posting everyday as part of my 24 days of Christmas Fitness. Make sure to check back each day for a new post all the way up until Christmas Day!