13 August 2014

AVOCADO CHOCOLATE COOKIES

Welcome to my second post in the #GreatBloggerBakeOff series! You can check out my first post here - Mini Pancake "Cakes". Planning for this weeks theme - cookies - began with a debate. A debate which ended with my initial thoughts, cookies and biscuits are the same them.  Cookie in the US, biscuit here. A biscuit in the US is - a savory scone like bun of sorts!  With that all cleared up I moved onto the bake. I knew I wanted to use avocado as a butter sub, after scouring the web Smoothie Lover was one of the blogs I came across using avocado in recipes.

*Note before we begin. These didn't turn out as biscuit like as I had hoped. They were very smooth, very cakey but sadly didn't have a crunch nor snap. Maybe I used too much avocado, hence the creamier texture, so if you're looking for something a bit more whoopie pie like this could be the one for you! If not, I think a bit less avocado would do the trick!*

On your marks...get set...BAKE!

- 1 small/medium avocado - ripe
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (you can use coconut or Stevia for healthier alternatives)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- 50g chopped dark chocolate (I used 70% Lindt)
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp baking soda

Preheat oven to around 170 degrees. Cream together the sugar and avocado. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Next add the cocoa powder and chopped chocolate. Dissolve the baking soda in the water and then add this to the mix. Once combined, spoon heaps of the mixture onto a baking sheet and bake in the middle of the oven for around 8-10 minutes.
I baked mine for about 10 minutes and they came out very soft and cakey. Leave them on the baking tray until completely cooled, then remove. Mine were a lot more delicate than cookies and definitely more cake like. Note - they taste super good when they've been chilling the fridge!

Let me know what you think of this week's recipe and if you're baking along make sure to leave me a link below or tweet me @afloralcrown! For all things Great Blogger Bake Off related check out:
GreatBloggerBakeOff on Facebook
#GreatBloggerBakeOff on Twitter
and the creators of this brilliant mini series:
- Laura from I Love Crafty
- Shannon from Mumma Told Me So
- Meg from Briar Rose
Don't forget to tune into the Great British Bake Off each week Wednesday at 8pm on BBC1!